Rosie has poisoned herself.
I should have expected something was awry when she didn’t join me on the couch for our daily session with the laptop. Ruby was with me but where was Rosie? But I was engrossed in what was happening in blogsville. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw her coming down the stairs.
There’s nothing up those stairs except Archie’s lair and the other members of the family, including the dogs, only venture up there when absolutely necessary.
The girls follow me wherever I go and as I’m rarely in Archie’s room, this is not somewhere where you will find them. And Rosie was slinking down the stairs looking guilty. When she’s guilty she avoids eye contact and in her mind, she’s invisible.
I picked her up and went up the stairs and it didn’t take me long to find out what she’d been up to. Archie had left his Easter eggs in a container on his bedroom floor. Lying on the carpet was a large Easter egg that had been unwrapped and was now covered in carpet fluff. Beside it was the wrapper of a large bunny. The only thing remaining of the chocolate bunny was the tips of its ears and somehow 6kg-Rosie couldn’t manage to finish off the ears.
Now chocolate is toxic for dogs and the darker the chocolate the worse it is so fortunately the bunny was milk chocolate. I did fear toxic poisoning so I phoned the vet but got the answering machine where I left an urgent message. In the meantime I googled ‘naughty dogs’ and found that the ingredient, theobromine, becomes toxic at 45-55mg/ounce. I tried to work out how many ounces of chocolate she had eaten which was near impossible as there wasn’t much left of the wrapper – she probably ate that too.
I worked out the bunny was 150gms which is 5 ounces meaning she’d ingested around 250mgs of theobromine which is certainly toxic for a girl of her size. She was also exhibiting signs of toxicity including a racing heart and tremors.
I phoned the vet again and he said he would see her straightaway. His practice is just a short walk from where we live so off we went, the three of us (because it wouldn’t be nice for Ruby to miss out on an outing).
The vet was concerned that Rosie had signs of toxicity so he said he needed to give her something to make her vomit. He took a small black thing out of a container and told me it was a type of morphine. I thought he was going to put it in her mouth but he put it in her eye (which she didn’t like one bit). He then said it would take up to 20 minutes to take affect.
But it didn’t. Rosie was bringing up that chocolate within minutes. The poor girl heaved and heaved over a bowl and you wouldn’t believe just how much semi-digested chocolate reappeared. But afterwards, and after the vet had taken the black thing out of her eye, she didn’t get better. Her heart was beating too rapidly and so he said she needed to stay at the vet’s and be on a drip to try and dilute the remaining chocolate that had passed through to her intestines.
Meanwhile, I took Ruby home for a sleep on the couch then went up to the swim centre for Alfie’s swimming lesson. At 5p we went back to the vet to see how Rosie was recovering. It wasn’t good news. The vet hadn’t been able to give her her charcoal tablets as with every attempt, she had bitten him. I told him she needed her tablets wrapped in mince or cheese and once he produced the cheese, she ate her two charcoal tablets.
But her heart was still racing and the vet said her blood pressure was also extremely high. She wasn’t allowed to come home as the vet said she needed to be sedated and kept calm. So tonight she’s all alone at the vet’s and I hope the sedation is enough to keep her asleep and far from fretting.
In the meantime, Ruby is close by my side. She’s all sad and looking at me with great concern. I keep shouting into her deaf ears, ‘Rosie will be back soon’, but cuddles are proving more effective than speech.
I’ll be checking in with the vet first thing tomorrow morning and will let you know how my little girl is recovering.